Welcome to Sonoran Sky Elementary School in Scottsdale, Arizona. We’re so happy you’re joining our school community! We’re looking forward to a return to some of our favorite signature events and can’t wait to share them with you!
Starting school or switching schools can be an overwhelming experience, even under the best of normal circumstances, but we’re in this together and you’ve got a community to lean on. As families adapt to new schedules, procedures, people, and places, we also develop a robust and supportive community.
- Get connected! Join Membership Toolkit at sskypto.membershiptoolkit.com and become part of our secure on-line community! Once you are signed up, you’ll also get our newsletter!
- Join us at our monthly PTO Meetings. First Tuesday of the month. For the 2021-22 school year, meetings will be held at school and virtually on an alternating schedule. Check the PTO calendar for updates and be sure to sign up for our newsletter through Membership Toolkit for details and log in information.
- Join the Ambassador Program to meeting existing families who will help you learn the ropes.
- Skim through the General School Information we’ve compiled that covers Sonoran Sky essentials.
- Follow the PTO on Facebook and Twitter to stay up-to-date on school and community happenings. Facebook is the easiest method for our VP of Communications to communicate, so we use it frequently. We have both a Sonoran Sky PTO “page” that is visible to the public and a private “group” where our PTO members can share photos and comments.
- Make sure to update your emergency contact card and ensure that you receive District communications. Please go to Portal.pvschools.net.
Select More and then Annual Update.
You may also click the Annual Update link on the Announcement Page. Make sure that you have updated your emergency contact card and ensure you receive communications from the District.
Need help? View our Annual Update Smart Card.
- Have more questions? Check out the below FAQs.
FAQs for New to School Families
What time does school start and end?
Normal classroom hours: 8:45am – 3:15pm, the front office is normally open from 8:00am to 4:00pm.
Early Release Classroom hours: 8:45am – 12:30pm
Office Hours: 8:00am- 4:00pm
Playgrounds open at 8:25am. There is no supervision for students who arrive earlier than 8:25am. Unless they are attending a school activity, students should not arrive at school before 8:25am.
Can I walk my kids into school?
You are welcome to walk your kids to the playground gate. If you do so, please do not park in the teacher parking lots. If you wish to walk your child to the gates, please park in the neighborhood and walk to the school. Make sure to use designated crosswalks and be safe!
Where do I drop off my kids in the morning and pick them up?
Depends on what grade they are in. Detailed arrival/dismissal procedures are available on the Sonoran Sky website.
Generally, 1st – 6th grade students are to be dropped off in the flow-zone along the large field on 75th Street. The playground gate opens at 8:25am and closes promptly at 8:45am. Students begin lining up at 8:40am.
All kindergarten students and their siblings are dropped off in the northeast parking lot that you enter off of Sweetwater. Traffic flows counter-clockwise in the morning. After drop-off, students head directly through the gate to the kindergarten playground. PTO volunteers help kindergarteners exit cars and walk to the playground every morning. If you would like to be a parking lot volunteer once (or twice!) a week, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Please do not park in the teacher parking lots. If you wish to walk your child to the gates, please park in the neighborhood and walk to the school. Make sure to use designated crosswalks and be safe!
I need to pick up my child early, what is the procedure?
If parents wish to pick up their students from school early, they must be signed out through the front office. Only people listed on the emergency card are allowed to check students out; identification will be required. Signing out a student early may affect attendance. Students will not be called out of class until the person picking them up is in the front office.
Is there a nurse on premise?
Mrs. Teri Amenson – (602) 449-6503 email@example.com
Visit her website for more information.
My child has food allergies, how does the school handle this issue?
Each situation is slightly different and our school works with families to ensure students have the safest and best possible learning environment. Please notify the school nurse of any chronic illness and special health needs.
My child has medical needs during school hours. What do I need to do?
Please contact the school nurse directly to discuss.
Can I visit my child’s classroom during school hours?
We welcome visitors at Sonoran Sky, however, unannounced classroom visits can be disruptive to the whole class. Please check with your child’s teacher before visiting or volunteering, to schedule a time that will not distract from the learning environment. Also, make sure you have a PTO name badge! Required for volunteering on campus. (Order one here!)
Will we have an opportunity to meet our child’s teacher before the school year begins?
We’re planning a Meet the Teacher event August 9, 2021 at 8:00am, during which students and families will have the opportunity to meet their teacher, explore their classroom, and introduce themselves to new friends! However, due to Covid-19 we do need to remain flexible, stay tuned for additional details as we get closer to the event.
How can I get involved?
Our school thrives on parent and community involvement. There are many ways to get involved. Pick what works best for you! You can…
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Come to a PTO Meeting – there are always committee chairs in need of assistance
- Ask your classroom teacher if you can help
- All volunteers need a name tag. You can wear the schools generic shared ones, or get your own personalized one! Sign up here.
- Check out the District’s volunteer information
How do I join the PTO?
You’re already a member! How cool is that?!! There are no membership fees to join the SSKY PTO; therefore every parent and guardian of every student is automatically a member with an equal voice in our direction Is there a membership fee?
Absolutely not! If you are a parent, guardian, or caregiver – YOU ARE ALREADY A MEMBER! WOO HOO! Like all public schools in Arizona, we do rely heavily on the generous financial support of our community,and if you are in a position to give, it is greatly appreciated; but, never a condition of participation in your PTO. Where do I find a calendar of school holiday and vacation days?
A schedule of District holidays, early release days, and vacations is located here.
You can view Sonoran Sky’s Community Calendar here.