September 3, 2019
Welcome to Mindset Monthly, a new regular feature in our newsletters designed to promote mindfulness practice by providing school wide updates and tips to support your job as a parent.
Mr. Dawson and 1st and 2nd grade teacher, Ms. Brown are working hard this school year to build a more mindfully present campus in collaboration with our teachers and PTO. Our updated Sonoran Sky Mission is Be Kind. Be Brave. Be Your Best.
You can look forward to several campus wide projects to support a strong social emotional learning environment and our campus wide mission.
Here are some of the ways students, teachers, parents, and guests can immerse themselves into the Sonoran Sky culture:
- Mr. Dawson ends the morning announcements each day with the reminder to Be Kind. Be Brave. Be Your Best.
- All Things E.Q. returns with an updated program supporting self awareness and self care.
- Staff members created “All About Me “ posters that share personal experiences to foster building relationships through commonalities and interests.
- Teachers are implementing social emotional interactions with students regularly to help students build connectivity with others and learn to appreciate differences.
- WOOP Wednesdays occur the 3rd Wednesday of the month. WOOP is an acronym to aid in goal setting. W=Wish, O=Outcome desired, O= Obstacles we have control over, and P= Plan.
- Lastly, Sky Cards are distributed to students caught demonstrating monthly, identified, character traits. The cards are put into a drawing to participate in an event each month with Mr. Dawson.
Make Your Day remains our citizenship program. Children are learning to make appropriate choices and decisions, throughout the day. No child is expected to be perfect and should get comfortable making mistakes. Mistakes are the best learning tool we have! Remember, refrain from asking your child if they chose Step. Instead, reframe that statement by asking, what challenged you today? What did you learn from that experience?
Check back next newsletter for more information regarding our focus on mindfulness.